The European Union established 2020 as the date on which all countries should comply with the norm that obliges them to be more energy efficient , a challenge that particularly affects construction and the real estate sector.
The use of sustainable materials in the construction of new buildings is essential for the residential sector to grow without endangering its occupants and the environment.
Sustainable architecture must optimize resources and materials, as well as reduce energy consumption. It should also promote the use of renewable energies , thus reducing waste and emissions.
But what is a new sustainable housing?
How can we acquire a sustainable home?
What kind of projects do the new construction companies advocate?
In this post we will explain everything you need to know about this matter. Take note!
What is sustainable housing?
A sustainable home is one that uses all available resources to reduce energy consumption while respecting the environment and contributing to the reduction of the domestic bill.
However, in order to ensure that a home is sustainable, a series of elements must be taken into account :
- The location: it is a fundamental point. The orientation must always be so as to take advantage of environmental conditions such as light, water, etc. as much as possible.
- The use of building materials: must be based on ecological raw materials, ensuring insulation such as stone or cork. A fundamental aspect will be the installation of good windows , since it is the place where much heat is lost.
- Another important point to have a sustainable home is the use of clean energy such as solar panels.
- In addition to all this, having a good ventilation system will be essential to avoid air tightness.
- Another key aspect that you can begin to apply will be the use of efficient appliances. These allow a saving of more than 50%.
Certificates for sustainable housing?
In Spain there are three types of certificates that certify the sustainability of buildings: LEED, BREEAM AND VERDE, the latter being considered the official one in Spain since 2007. We will perform a detailed analysis of the three.
LEED Certificate: means Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
This certificate evaluates the sustainability of a building according to certain criteria: sustainability in materials and construction resources, water efficiency, energy efficiency, interior environmental quality and innovation in the design process.
BREEAM Certificate: (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) is a method of evaluation and certification of the sustainability of the building. This certificate assesses the following issues: management, health and wellbeing, energy, water, materials, waste, pollution and innovation.
GREEN Certificate: a tool that assesses the environmental impact during the entire life cycle of a building.
A certificate that affects both the energy saving and the health of the building user.
What are the benefits of sustainable housing?
Acquiring a sustainable home means saving money on the consumption and maintenance of the house, breathing cleaner air, being protected from external noises, materials less harmful to our health and housing will have more value if one day we plan to sell.
If you want to know a new construction promotion with:
- the best finishes at a good price,
- Prime location,
- reduced energy consumption and
- all kinds of services at your fingertips.
We are waiting for you in the Alexia promotion!
If you have any queries or doubts, at PrimeHouse we will be happy to help you with any questions that may arise. Download our brochure and know the expenses that you are going to have when owning a house in Málaga and the Costa del Sol.